Friday, November 22, 2013

Interview with Martha O'Sullivan



I had the pleasure of Interviewing published author, Martha O'Sullivan. Check it out!

Using five sentences, tell us who YOU are, the writer.  

Martha: I’m still getting used to be called a writer! I still think of myself as a stay-at-home mom, although my girls are teenagers now. I’m the only child of older parents who grew up reading books and always had writing her own close to her heart. I’m from Chicago, live in Florida and love the West, especially Northern California and Nevada, which is why my Chances trilogy is set there. I've been underestimated my entire life and starting using it to my advantage. All my books feature traditional couples who find themselves battling extraordinary circumstances and live happily-ever-after.


Do you currently have any books out for purchase? If so, what are the names, what’s it about and where can we find them? 

Martha: November marks the release of my third novel and the conclusion of my Chances trilogy, Last Chance. When I started writing five years ago, a trilogy was the farthest thing from my mind. Moira and Paul's story was originally part of that first novel. But as Lindsay and Brian's adventure evolved, I realized there wasn't room in the book to do Moira and Paul justice, not to mention the beauty of the Lake Tahoe winter. And since Delaney and Mike's Chance Encounter was dancing relentlessly in my head, I put Moira and Paul on hold. Now it’s their turn. And what better way to conclude the Chances trilogy than to come full circle.
Here’s the Chances trilogy in a nutshell:
In Second Chance, star-crossed lovers Lindsay Foster and Brian Rembrandt get a second chance at love amid the brilliant blue waters of Lake Tahoe. In Chance Encounter, Delaney Richards and Mike Savoy’s quest for love takes them from Tahoe’s fawn-colored shores to the serpentine streets of San Francisco. But the heat in Last Chance comes not from the blazing summer sun and rugged, white-hot sand, but from the prurient fervor between lifelong friends Moira Brody and Paul Webster.  And even the single-digit temperatures of the Lake Tahoe winter are no match for their long-bridled desire.

The Chances trilogy by Martha O'Sullivan is available at: marthaosullivan26.wix.com/marthaosullivan 


Second Chance buy page links:




Chance Encounter buy page links:


Last Chance buy page links:






Are you currently working on something? Tell us about it! 

Martha: My work-in-progress is a Christmas book set in Florida, but with having three books released in consecutive months and a learning curve to boot, I haven’t gotten very far. Promoting is very time consuming, but it’s a good problem to have!

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what THREE things could you not live without? 

Martha: My husband, coffee, a book.

When is your most creative time of the day?

Martha: 5:00 a.m. That’s something I never thought I’d say.

What motivates you to write? Music, movies, pictures?

Martha: The characters yammering in my head to get out! And I’ve learned a lot from movies and t.v.

If you could have a conversation with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?

Martha: Jesus Christ. Because he surely has all the answers.

What authors inspire you? Why? 

Martha: I loved Danielle Steel books growing up, and of course Nora Roberts of late. I love James Patterson’s Women’s Murder Club series partly because it’s set in San Francisco. I love the way they immediately draw you into the story, make you feel like you’re living it. And my stories are about love, like theirs, not just lust. I prefer trilogies and series because I tend to miss the characters after the book ends!

What started you on the journey to write?

Martha: I don’t know what clicked that April night five years ago. But ever since then, it’s all I want to do.

What are the biggest challenges you’ve come across being an author or a writer? 

Martha: Balancing family, home, and sleep. It can be a slippery slope and sometimes I have to remind myself to keep my eye on the right ball. 

How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)

Martha: It’s a whole new world of publishing than the one I left sixteen years ago. Learning to promote via social media has been the biggest challenge.

How do you stay motivated and get through writer’s block?

Martha: Write through it. Sometimes I’ll take a break and swim some laps to clear my head. But that’s not always feasible.

What keeps you focused and ‘in the zone’ while writing your novels?

Martha: Self-discipline. I’m focused to a fault.

Do you have a technique or style of writing you prefer? Do you write in order or skip around and piece together later?

Martha: I’m a pantser, so I just let myself go and revise a lot.

When your dreams come true, what do you do?

Martha: Mine did long before I wrote a book. So cherish it and write about it. I did. 

To all of us aspiring authors, struggling, or newbies, what is the best advice you can give us?  

Martha: Never, ever give up! If the book is in your heart, it will eventually be in someone’s hands. And join RWA and go to Nationals (http://www.rwa.org/).



Wanna follow along? Check out Martha's work here:



No comments:

Post a Comment