Sunday, November 17, 2013

Interview with Kaitlan Blackrose




Using five sentences, tell us who YOU are, the writer.

Kaitlan: I am a historical romantic, though I write many different times in history, the past is the best for me. I love to create a different reality that what history has already written.  I am a woman that has many different fires in the oven so to speak, if a book is in my head it needs to get out, no matter what book I am writing at the moment.  As a parent of a multi needs adult child I have a tendency to use inserts of his life and what I would like it to be and to show people how people that are not normal deal with life and how love always wins.  I am lucky to have a husband that encourages me to be what I am when I need it and that helps as a writer.

Do you currently have any books out for purchase? If so, what are the names, what’s it about and where can we find them?

Kaitlan: Currently I have one book on kindle and can be bought for $1.00 at Amazon.  Its name is Alexandra, it is book one of a five book series.  And I am working on book two and three so far.  I hope to have them both done during November during nano.

Are you currently working on something? Tell us about it!

Kaitlan: I am currently working on four books,  “Gaelan” which is the second in the series from above as well as the third, “Bryn and Maeve”.  The third is a modern called “A Sign of Love” which deals with the deaf and “An Eternal Love” which is a faerie romance set in the 1700’s.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what THREE things could you not live without?

Kaitlan: I would want my computer, iced tea and my husband.  I love to compete with him in writing.

When is your most creative time of the day?

Kaitlan: When I am writing it doesn’t really matter what time of day it is.  When the need to write hits I love to write.  This month with Nano, I am doing more writing than normal but I think it helps to have a short deadline to kick me in gear to get it done.

What motivates you to write? Music, movies, pictures?

Kaitlan: Usually I only have the television on to shows I like.  I just turn it down and get to work.  It sometimes help give me ideas on where my plots are going.

What authors inspire you? Why?

Kaitlan: I like Connie Harwell and I speak with her a lot she is practically a neighbor and is in one of my knitting circles as well.  She wrote historical romance as well but is switching to mystery.  I also enjoy Johanna Lindsey, I like how she shows family series and the people you meet in her books that you would like to see their stories as well.  Leigh Greenwood I like because it makes me feel good that a man can write romance as well as he does.  He was encouraging when I wrote him and I hope to meet him in person one day.

What started you on the journey to write?

Kaitlan: I started writing when I was a child and in high school I started to write short stories probably because I was shy and didn’t really fit in as well as some.  So I put my thoughts and ideas on paper.  It really helped in short story class that I could write.  In college I seemed to have an insight into the depth behind a story and would write reports that were deeper than that of the other students and made the instructors happy.

What are the biggest challenges you’ve come across being an author or a writer?

Kaitlan: The biggest challenges would be getting it on paper in a coherent manner.  I am a writer that just sits down and lets things flow.  

How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)

Kaitlan: It really hasn’t but that could be because I self-publish and have yet to deal with a publishing house.

How do you stay motivated and get through writer’s block?

Kaitlan: That is why I have many irons in the fire.  If I get blocked on one I move to the next and if I get blocked on all of them I pick up my knitting and work on it for a while eventually it will work its way out and I will start to write again.

What keeps you focused and ‘in the zone’ while writing your novels?

Kaitlan: Deadlines, when they are close my mind seems to work better on getting it finished.

Do you have a technique or style of writing you prefer? Do you write in order or skip around and piece together later?

Kaitlan: I am a start at the beginning writer.  I don’t make outlines because for me they just don’t work, and they always get changed.  I just start writing and keep going to where the inspiration tells me to go.

When your dreams come true, what do you do?

Kaitlan: I married mine.

To all of us aspiring authors, struggling, or newbies, what is the best advice you can give us?


Kaitlan: All you can do is just keep writing and even if you get rejections.  Many people get hundreds before they are finally picked up for publishing but that shouldn’t make you stop writing.  Yes, they are heartbreaking to get, especially when you have worked as hard as you did on your novel but sometimes the novel you just    put you heart into isn’t complete yet when you sent it.  Keep trying that is all you can do.  

Find Kailtlan here:

No comments:

Post a Comment