Monday, November 4, 2013

Interview with R J Loom



I had the pleasure of sitting down with author in the making, R J Loom. She is currently working on her first novel which will be a trilogy and I can't wait to see her future success. Here's what she said: 

Using five sentences, tell us who YOU are, the writer.

R J Loom: I was born and raised along the shores of Lake Erie in Ohio, where I still reside with my husband, two teenage children and spoiled Boxer.  I am the youngest of 6 kids. My father would say I'm the daughter of a poor immigrant. I'm a book addict and love to travel whenever the opportunity arises.  But at the end of the day, I'm just a person who loves to laugh and find humor in everyday things.

Do you currently have any books out for purchase? If so, what are the names, what’s it about and where can we find them?

R J Loom: Not yet.  I'm shooting for the release of “The Ilia Stone” by summer 2014.

Are you currently working on something? Tell us about it!

R J Loom: There are a couple things I'm working on but my focus is primarily on finishing “The Ilia Stone”.  The Ilia Stone follows the path of an ancient artifact which contains the powers of the Greek Gods, throughout the world and throughout time to present day.  It tells the story of those who encounter it from ancient Greece to 14th century Europe with the Black Plague to Nazi Germany and then to the story of Nia and Gabriel in present day.  Not only do I put a spin on actual events from the past, it is a story of self discovery through the choices the characters make. I plan on it being a trilogy. 

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what THREE things could you not live without?

R J Loom: Aside from basic necessities like food, water, shelter etc.?  I'd have to say Dr. Pepper, music and books.

When is your most creative time of the day?

R J Loom: I'm most creative while I'm driving.  But on your average day, I'd have to say I'm most creative late at night.

What motivates you to write? Music, movies, pictures?

R J Loom: Definitely music. 

If you could have a conversation with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?

R J Loom: That is a tough one.  Albert Einstein, Confucius or maybe Henry David Thoreau.  I may not understand a word they say but it would be interesting trying to figure out how their minds work.  Not to mention inspirational.

What authors inspire you? Why?

R J Loom: Again, another tough one.  I read a lot of books and have many favorite authors.    Each book I read though, whether it's a favorite or not, inspires me.  But on a daily basis, I'd have to say Jas T. Ward inspires me most.  We're close friends and not only is she crazy creative, she's a great daily inspiration to help me keep believing I can write something people will want to read.

What started you on the journey to write?

R J Loom: I actually wrote a blog post about this recently.   It was a submission for a writing prompt for Freelance Writers Academy Blog Carnival Back in September and was limited to 200 words. It's hard to pin point what exactly started me on this journey.  I've always loved words.  As a kid, my dad would play grammar games with me when we were driving around running errands.  “What's up on the road, a head?”  or “What's up on the road ahead?”  My sisters and I would also use “big” words or describe things in certain ways just to to make the others laugh.  As far as what made me pull up Word and start writing a book?  It had to be after Jas T. Ward and I started Dead Bound Publishing.  After all the work we poured into getting it going and after close to 5 years writing, I figured why the hell not? 

What are the biggest challenges you’ve come across being an author or a writer?

R J Loom: The biggest challenge for me would have to be putting myself out there.  Attention makes me very uncomfortable.  I am more of an observer; an introvert. For the past few years I've been able to write with a certain amount of anonymity.   Every time I would put my writing out there I had to block out the possibility anyone was actually going to read it or else I wouldn't be able to string two words together.  So now, with plans on publishing my first book, I have to put myself out there.  I have to stretch way outside my comfort zone.  But that's alright.  It's growth and I refuse to be an obstacle in my own way to reaching my goal.

How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)

R J Loom: I understand the process of publishing a book.  I understand the market and I believe my expectations are in line with that.  For me, my goals are pretty simple.  I have a story in my mind that I love.  I will write it.  I will complete it and I will publish it.  I will put it out there and hopefully others will enjoy it as well. 

How do you stay motivated and get through writer’s block?

R J Loom: I write.  Even when I don't feel like it. I've found that's the best way to push through it.  It may not be related to what I should be writing but it gets things flowing again. I also listen to music or research certain aspects of a story.
What keeps you focused and ‘in the zone’ while writing your novels?
I have ADHD.  So focus is not my strong suit.  When I get 'in the zone', I try to stay there as long as I can just because I know I get easily distracted.  But when I'm passionate about something, I'm very singularly focused.  And I'm very passionate about “The Ilia Stone.”

Music also helps. It helps set the mood and get me in the mindset of whatever scene I'm writing.

Do you have a technique or style of writing you prefer? Do you write in order or skip around and piece together later?

R J Loom: My way of writing is like walking into a disorganized person's office and seeing their desk with random piles of papers everywhere.  But if you were to ask that person where something was, they would know exactly where to find it. I most definitely don't write in order.  I do have a basic outline for all three books in “The Ilia Stone” trilogy.   But I write the scenes as they come to me and they never come in order.  I have even written some on each of the three books.  It's like a puzzle I'm piecing together and that's part of the fun of writing it.

When your dreams come true, what do you do?

R J Loom: Most likely write a story about dreams coming true.

To all of us aspiring authors, struggling, or newbies, what is the best advice you can give us?

R J Loom: I'm still in that category but I'll share the thoughts that keep me plugging along.   Don't be the person to stand in your own way.  How will you know if you can if you don't even try?  Don't allow yourself excuses. Find answers.  Find ways around any roadblocks.  Keep going.  Write just to write and have fun with it. 

Where can we find your works or website to keep up with what you have brewing in your mind? 





Fav quote: 
“Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.”
~ Henry Ford
From The Ilia Stone:  Gabriel to Nia...
“You want to know? You believe the pains of my past and the man I no longer am is what will show you the truth of who I am today? Fine, I’ll show you...”

No comments:

Post a Comment