Saturday, January 4, 2014

You know you're a writer when.....

I thought I'd share my random ramblings with the world. So I have a few ideas for a few novels. Most of them are romance, something I really enjoy writing. Some of them have a supernatural or historical element to them and that makes it more interesting as more research goes into that. I recently wanted to challenge myself and have been thinking of some kind of plot/idea to make a book series. I finally think I landed the right idea that can span 3-4 books. It involves something I find fascinating and interests me. It was one of the reasons I went into law enforcement. I won't spoil too much but it will be crime and mystery, and it will be about serial killings. All fictional, but I think the twist is pretty interesting. So I was sitting here thinking about it all and it made me laugh....

You know you're a writer when you fear law enforcement seeing your google searches. {I.E poison to use that kills you slowly, spells from the 17th century, 17th century witchcraft, crime scene photos, sentence for homicide, etc...} The list goes on and I know there have been crazier searches. And all of it is innocent and only research for writing...but to another person...you're psycho.

It's crazy some days...all these voices in your head talking to you wanting you to tell their story....see, there I went and sounded like a crazy person. I promise I am completely sane...which is probably something a crazy person would say. :/ point is, being a writer has its ups and downs. You have these characters you  created and bits of you are found in them. You are a part of them, you were their creator. They are important to you. Some days my brain is filled with so many ideas, dialogue, scenes, they play out like a movie in my head and if I don't get them down right away, 9 times out of 10 I'll forget them. They come at completely random times. A picture, something someone says, a song, a movie...anything can trigger that spontaneous writer tick that we all have. Your friend is talking about how bad their day is and you're all "OOOO I know my characters last name!" Yeah...it happens.

Family and friends who stand behind you and support your "Crazy person ways" are the best and deserve to hear thanks every now and then. I know a few times I've asked my husband something if he thought it was plausible, interesting, made sense, or sounded off. Sometimes he'd give me that  "Are you for real right now or in writer mode?" look.

I often question if all the great writers are like this. Stephen King, James Patterson, Nicholas Sparks, Charlaine Harris...did they think this way? Am I weird or crazy? Is this the crazy life of a writer?

Either way, I'm hooked and this is my thing. No longer a hobby for fun, but it's what I want (eventually....one day) to be my career. Being famous isn't important, but I would like to be known...get my name out there. Who doesn't? So if my life is going to be brain cramped with ideas and such, dreams coming and making me think of more stuff....sign me up. It's a writers life after all....right?

1 comment: